You are here
Post-Doctoral Orthopedic Surgery & Adult Reconstruction Research and Adult Reconstructive Surgery
Dr. Karim Elsharkawy grew up in Cairo, Egypt, and received his medical degree at the Cairo University School of Medicine where he graduated with highest honors. He completed his residency training in the Cairo University Orthopedic Surgery Program. After his residency, he was appointed at the university as a staff assistant lecturer in orthopedic surgery. Dr. Elsharkawy then moved to Cleveland and joined the Cleveland Clinic as a post-doctoral research fellow. He finished his second residency training at the Cleveland Clinic. After his second residency, he completed the Otto E. Aufranc Fellowship in adult reconstructive surgery and joint replacement at the New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Elsharkawy specializes in minimally invasive total hip and knee replacement surgery, as well as partial knee replacement. His expertise also includes revision hip and knee replacement, complex joint reconstructions, and nonoperative treatment of hip and knee disorders.
Dr. Elsharkawy has co-authored several peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters on hip and knee replacement. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, and The Royal College of Surgeons of England. Dr. Elsharkawy joined Reconstructive Orthopedics after his fellowship and lives in Marlton, New Jersey, with his wife and two children.
Education & Training
- Doctor of Medicine: Cairo University School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Cairo University School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship in Orthopedic Surgery and Adult Reconstruction: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Orthopedic Surgery Internship: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Otto E. Aufranc Fellowship in Adult Reconstruction: New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
- Member: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Member: American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Member: American Medical Association
- Member: Cleveland Clinic Alumni Association
- Member: The Royal College of Surgeons of England