Meghan E. Bishop, M.D.
Dr. Meghan Bishop is a fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports-related injuries of the knee, shoulder, and elbow. Her clinical interests include anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction, multi-ligament knee injuries, knee meniscus tears, patellofemoral instability and pain, cartilage restoration procedures, shoulder instability, and labral tears, as well as rotator cuff repair. Dr. Bishop has a special interest in sports-related injuries of the female athlete.
Dr. Bishop graduated as valedictorian of her class at George Washington University Medical School, and she completed her residency in orthopedic surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. She then completed a fellowship in sports medicine and shoulder surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. During her fellowship, Dr. Bishop served as one of the team physicians for the New York Knicks and Iona College. She has served as head team physician of the New York Empire American Ultimate Disc League (AUDL) team and chair of the AUDL research committee. She has served as Orthopaedic Medical Director of the Philadelphia Marathon as well as an orthopedic care provider to the elite athletes at the New York City Marathon.
An athlete herself, Dr. Bishop is a former Division I collegiate track and field and cross-country athlete at the College of William and Mary and continues to be an avid runner. She is a 2020 US Olympic Marathon Trials competitor and was the female winner of the 2019 New Jersey Marathon. Her athletic history has given her a personal understanding of the importance of maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.
Academically, Dr. Bishop is actively involved in clinical research and holds numerous national orthopedic society positions. She serves as a member of the Emerging Leaders Task Force for the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) and as a member of the Sports Medicine Evaluation Committee for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). She serves on the Editorial Board for a number of orthopedic research journals including the Video Journal of Sports Medicine (VJSM) and The American Journal of Sports Medicine (AJSM), where she is part of the Diversity and Inclusion Task Force. She remains active in orthopedic research and has published over 30 peer-reviewed publications, many focusing on the female athlete.
Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery Fellowship
243 Route 130, Suite 100
Bordentown, NJ 08505
131 NJ-70, #100
Medford, NJ 08055
300 West Route 38
Moorestown, NJ 08057
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
- Doctor of Medicine: George Washington School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery Fellowship: Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
Titles & Certifications
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery: Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- The Perry Initiative for Women in Orthopaedics Local Societies
- Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society
- Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
- Paul RW, Streicher S, Osman A, Ukekwe C, Zareef U, Freedman KB, Erickson BJ, Hammoud S, Bishop ME. Beach Chair Versus Lateral Decubitus Surgical Positioning for Arthroscopic Anterior Shoulder Stabilization: A Retrospective Comparison of Clinical and Patient-Reported Outcomes. Orthop J Sports Med. 2022 Jun 28;10(6):23259671221106474. doi: 10.1177/23259671221106474. PMID: 35783468; PMCID: PMC9247375.
- Omari AM, Paul RW, Fliegel B, Osman A, Bishop ME, Erickson BJ, Alberta FG. Effect of COVID-19 on Injury Rates and Timing in the National Football League. Orthop J Sports Med. 2022 Jun 2;10(6):23259671221098749. doi: 10.1177/23259671221098749. PMID: 35677022; PMCID: PMC9168859.
- Paul RW, Zareef U, Streicher S, Osman A, Erickson BJ, Freedman KB, Hammoud S, Bishop ME. Beach-Chair Versus Lateral Decubitus Positioning for Arthroscopic Posterior Shoulder Labral Repair: A Retrospective Comparison of Clinical and Patient-Reported Outcomes. Am J Sports Med. 2022 Jul;50(8):2211-2218. doi: 10.1177/03635465221095243. Epub 2022 May 23. PMID: 35604308.
- Nemirov DA, Herman Z, Paul RW, Beucherie M, Hadley CJ, Ciccotti MG, Freedman KB, Erickson BJ, Hammoud S, Bishop ME. Evaluation of Rotator Cuff Repair With and Without Concomitant Biceps Intervention: A Retrospective Review of Patient Outcomes. Am J Sports Med. 2022 Apr 6:3635465221085661. doi: 10.1177/03635465221085661. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35384741.
- Ponzio DY, Bell C, Stavrakis A, Skibicki H, Czymek M, Ong AC, Post ZD, Bishop ME. Discrepancies in Work-Family Integration Between Female and Male Orthopaedic Surgeons. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2022 Mar 2;104(5):465-472. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.21.00345. Erratum in: J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2022 Apr 20;104(8):e36. PMID: 34851322.
- Paul RW, Brutico J, Wright M, Erickson BJ, Tjoumakaris FP, Freedman KB, Bishop ME. Strong Agreement Between Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Radiographs for Caton-Deschamps Index in Patients With Patellofemoral Instability. Arthroscopy, Sports Medicine, and Rehabilitation. Sept 2021
- Paul RW, Omari A, Fliegel B, Bishop ME, Erickson BJ, Alberta FG. Effect of COVID-19 on Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction in Major League Baseball Pitchers. Orthop J Sports Med. 2021 Sep 2;9(9):23259671211041359. doi: 10.1177/23259671211041359. PMID: 34497864; PMCID: PMC8419557.
- Clements AJ, Bishop ME. Avascular Necrosis and Atraumatic Anterior Dislocation of the Femoral Head During Pregnancy: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2021 Jul 28;11(3). doi: 10.2106/JBJS.CC.21.00177. PMID: 34319916.
- Nemirov D, Herman Z, Paul RW, Clements A, Beucherie M, Brutico J, Hadley CJ, Ciccotti MG, Freedman KB, Erickson BJ, Hammoud S, Bishop ME. Clinical and Functional Outcomes of Knotted vs Knotless Medial Row Transosseous Equivalent Rotator Cuff Repair: A Retrospective Review. Arthroscopy, Sports Medicine, and Rehabilitation. 2021
- Fram B, Bishop M, Beredjiklian P, Seigerman D. Female Sex is Associated With Increased Reported Injury Rates and Difficulties With Use of Orthopedic Surgical Instruments. Cureus. 2021 May 11;13(5):e14952. doi: 10.7759/cureus.14952. PMID: 34123649; PMCID: PMC8190831.
- Hadley C, Atlee TR, Chalmers PN, Bassora R, Bishop M, Romeo AA, Erickson BJ. Does Velocity Increase From Flat-Ground to Mound Work During a Lighter Baseball Training Program? J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021 Apr 7. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-19-00876. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33826551.
- Bishop M, Ode G, Hurwit D, Zmugg S, Rauck Ryan, Nguyen Joseph, Ranawat A. (2021). The ASSET Global Rating Scale is a Valid and Reliable Adjunct Measure of Performance on a Virtual Reality Simulator for Hip Arthroscopy. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery. 10.1016/j.arthro.2021.01.046.
- Erickson BJ, Shishani Y, Jones S, Sinclair T, Bishop M, Romeo AA, Gobezie R. Outpatient versus inpatient anatomic total shoulder arthroplasty: outcomes and complications. JSES International. 2020;4(4): 919-922. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseint.2020.07.003.
- Bishop M, Patel H, Erickson B, Dodson C. Multidirectional instability in female athletes. Ann Joint 2020 | http://dx.doi.org/10.21037/aoj-20-33
- Bishop M, Ahlmen A, Rosendorf J, Erickson BJ, Cohen S. Bone stress injuries in female athletes. Ann Joint 2020 | http://dx.doi.org/10.21037/aoj.2020.04.04
- Greenky MR, Winters BS, Bishop M, McDonald EL, Rogero RG, Shakked RJ, Raikin SM, Daniel JN, Pedowitz DI. Coding Education in Residency and in Practice Improves Accuracy of Coding in Orthopedic Surgery. Orthopedics. 2020 Sep 2:1-4. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20200827-10. Online ahead of print.PMID: 32882048
- Bassett AJ, Ahlmen A, Rosendorf JM, Romeo AA, Erickson BJ, Bishop M. The Biology of Sex and Sport. JBJS Rev. 2020;8(3):e0140. doi:10.2106/JBJS.RVW.19.00140
- Erickson BJ, Shishani Y, Bishop M, Romeo AA, Lederman E, Gobezie R. Tuberosity Repair in Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty for Fracture Using a Stem-based Double-row Repair: A Cadaveric Biomechanical Study [published online ahead of print, 2020 Mar 18]. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020;10.5435/JAAOS-D-19-00667. doi:10.5435/JAAOS-D-19-00667
- Erickson BJ, Shishani Y, Bishop M, et al. Subscapularis Repair During Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Using a Stem-Based Double-Row Repair: Sonographic and Clinical Outcomes. Orthop J Sports Med. 2020;8(3):2325967120906806. Published 2020 Mar 9. doi:10.1177/2325967120906806
- Antonacci C, Atlee TR, Chalmers PN, Hadley C, Bishop M, Romeo AA, Erickson, BJ. Interaction Between Age and Change in Velocity During a Baseball Training Program. Orthop J Sports Med. 2020;8(6):2325967120927939
- Rogero R G, Bishop M, Erickson B J, et al. (April 17, 2020) The Utilization of Physician Cell Phone Numbers by Patients in an Orthopaedic Surgery Practice. Cureus 12(4): e7712. doi:10.7759/cureus.7712
- Buckley PS, Ciccotti MC, Bishop M, et al. Youth Single-Sport Specialization in Professional Baseball Players. Orthop J Sports Med. 2020;8(3):2325967120907875. Published 2020 Mar 20. doi:10.1177/2325967120907875
- Erickson BJ, Shishani Y, Bishop M, Romeo AA, Gobezie R. Adhesive Capsulitis: Demographics and Predictive Factors for Success Following Steroid Injections and Surgical Intervention. Arthrosc Sports Med Rehabil. 2019;1(1):e35-e40. Published 2019 Sep 26. doi:10.1016/j.asmr.2019.07.005
- Bishop M, Black S, Mintz D, Shubin Stein B. A Simple Method of Measuring the Distance from Schoettle’s Point to the Medial Distal Femoral Physis: Determining a Safe Distance for Skeletally Immature MPFL Reconstruction. OJSM, 2019 Apr 24;7(4):2325967119840713. doi: 10.1177/2325967119840713.
- Chang E, Bishop M, Dodson C, Deluca P, Cohen S, Ciccotti M, Ramsey M. The Management of Elbow Dislocations in the National Football League. Orthop J Sports Med. 2018 Feb 20;6(2):2325967118755451. doi: 10.1177/2325967118755451. PMID: 29497621
- Bishop M, Astolfi M, Padegimas E, DeLuca P, Hammoud S. Venous Thromboembolism within Professional American Sport Leagues. Orthop J Sports Med. 2017 Dec 19;5(12):2325967117745530. doi: 10.1177/2325967117745530. PMID: 29318176
- Chaurdhry Z, Bishop M, Ciccotti M, Raikin S, Hammoud S. Outcomes of Surgical Treatment for Anterior Tibial Stress Fractures in Athletes: A Systematic Review. Am J Sports Med. 2017 Dec 1:363546517741137. doi: 10.1177/0363546517741137. PMID: 29528694
- Bishop M, MacLeod R, Tjoumakaris F, Hammoud S, Cohen S, Dodson C, Ciccotti M, Freedman K. Biomechanical and Clinical Comparison of Suture Techniques in Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair. JBJS Reviews. 2017 Nov;5(11):e2. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.RVW.17.00019
- Buckley P, Bishop M, Kane P, Ciccotti Jr M, Selverian S, Exume D, Emper W, Freedman K, Hammoud S, Cohen S, Ciccotti M. Single Sport Specialization in Youth Sports: A Survey of 3,090 High School, Collegiate, and Professional Athletes. Orthop J Sports Med. 2017 Jul 28;5(7):2325967117703944. doi: 10.1177/2325967117703944. PMID: 28812031
- Bishop M, Comer C, Kane J, Maltenfort M, Raikin S. Open Repair of Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures: Is the Incidence of Clinically Significant Wound Complications Overestimated?. Foot & Ankle Orthopaedics. 2017 Apr;2(2):1-6.
- Chang E, Bishop M, Baker D, West R. Interval Throwing and Hitting Programs in Baseball: Biomechanics and Rehabilitation. The American Journal of Orthopaedics. 2016 Mar-Apr;45(3):157-62. PMID: 26991569
- Hammoud S, Bishop M, Sgromolo N, Dizdarevic I, Atanda A. Approach to the Pediatric Athlete with Back Pain: More Than Just The Pars. The Physician and Sportsmedicine. 2015 Nov;43(4):421-431. doi: 10.1080/00913847.2015.1093668
- Hilibrand M, Bishop M, Woods D, Hammoud S. Common Injuries and ailments of the female athlete: an examination of pathophysiology, treatment, and prevention. The Physician and Sportsmedicine. 2015 Oct;43(4): 403-411. doi: 10.1080/00913847.2015.1092856
- Gallagher B, Bishop M, Tjoumakaris F, Freedman K. Early versus Delayed Rehabilitation Following Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair. Phys Sportsmed. 2015 May;43(2):178-87. doi: 10.1080/00913847.2015.1025683.