You are here
Sports Medicine & Total Joint
Joseph Farrell, D.O., is a board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon and an alumnus of Villanova University. He graduated from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. An interest in sports medicine took him to Virginia, where he completed a sports medicine fellowship at The Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic (formerly the Engh Institute). After his fellowship, Dr. Farrell joined Reconstructive Orthopedics.
His primary interest is helping patients get better using conservative methods when possible. Sports medicine, especially with seasoned athletes, is his surgical specialty, with trauma being a natural adjunct. Dr. Farrell specializes in elusive knee and shoulder problems. Arthroscopic knee surgeries are his most common surgical procedures, and he frequently performs rotator cuff repairs and fractures of the shoulder.
Trauma remains the other half of his practice, especially fractures of the shoulder, clavicle, hip, femur, tibia, and patella, along with tendon teams of the elbow, shoulder, and knee. Regarded as an excellent communicator and diagnostician, Dr. Farrell brings nearly 30 years of experience in treating orthopedic injuries and conditions.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: Villanova University, Villanova, PA
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Rotating Surgical Specialty Internship: Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Sports Medicine and Total Joint Fellowship: The Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic (formerly the Engh Institute), Arlington, VA
- Board Certification: American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Member: American Osteopathic Association
- Member: American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- Member: New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons