You are here
Interventional Spine & Sports Medicine
Fellowship-trained and board-certified Dr. Shakeel Salim is an interventional spine, pain management, and sports medicine expert. He specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of neuromusculoskeletal disorders with specialty training in nonsurgical care of neck and back pain. Specifically, he performs minimally invasive fluoroscopic-guided spinal interventions, including epidural injections, selective nerve root blocks, sympathetic blocks, radiofrequency denervation, spinal cord stimulation, and ultrasound-guided neuromuscular injections. In addition, he has expertise in performing electrodiagnostic studies.
Dr. Salim completed his undergraduate studies at The City College of New York, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. He obtained a master’s degree in industrial engineering from the New York University School of Engineering and subsequently attended medical school at Ross University School of Medicine. He then completed an internship in internal medicine at New York Medical College.
His interest in neurological and musculoskeletal ailments influenced him to pursue a residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center in New York City, where he served as chief resident in his final year of residency. His passion for treating spinal disorders and for the field of sports medicine led him to pursue fellowship training in minimally invasive interventional spine procedures and sports medicine at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore and OSS Health in York, Pennsylvania. He trained under the mentorship of Dr. Michael B. Furman, a recognized international expert in the field of interventional spine.
Prior to studying medicine, Dr. Salim had a successful leadership career in a Fortune 100 Company. However, his desire to help people and make a positive difference in the lives of others encouraged him to leave his corporate career behind to pursue a career in medicine. He continues to have the same desire and treats his patients with empathy and respect while working diligently with them to develop treatment plans to improve their functionality by addressing their spinal disorders and other painful musculoskeletal ailments.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering: The City College of New York, New York, NY
- Master of Science in Industrial Engineering: New York University School of Engineering, New York, NY
- Doctor of Medicine: Ross University School of Medicine, North Brunswick, NJ
- Medicine Internship: New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY
- Interventional Spine and Sports Medicine Fellowship: Orthopedic and Spine Specialists, York, PA
- Board Certification: American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Subspecialty Certification: Interventional Spine and Sports Medicine
- Member: American Academy of Pain Management
- Member: American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Member: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- Member: North American Spine Society
- Member: Society of Interventional Spine