"From the first visit I felt like everybody cared. Everybody was pleasant and very helpful. Any question I had were answered, everything was explained to me in detail and all appointments were scheduled for me. All I had to do was show up. My surgery to fuse L4 and L5 with a few rods and screws to secure everything gave me a quality of life back I never thought possible. Very little pain from surgery and 7 days after surgery I was doing many of the things I was unable to do for years! Five weeks past surgery and I just go about my day doing everything with no pain. I am careful of how I lift and twist my body and am still working on strengthen my back muscles. One talented and gifted Doctor fixed my back and gave me an opportunity to follow through on his work by doing my part to regain a quality of life for myself. It is the best decision I ever made and with an unbelievable positive outcome." – Leroy M.
You are here
Board-certified and fellowship-trained spine surgeon Dr. James Sanfilippo was raised in Middletown, New Jersey. He received his bachelor’s degree from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and went on to obtain a master’s degree in biochemistry from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Sanfilippo received his medical degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark, New Jersey. He completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dr. Sanfilippo chose to undergo additional training in the spine in the form of a fellowship at the Emory University Orthopaedics & Spine Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, where he was appointed as an instructor in orthopedic surgery.
Dr. Sanfilippo has been practicing with Reconstructive Orthopedics since 2009 and is currently the chief of the spine section and the medical director of surgical services at Virtua Memorial Hospital, Mount Holly, New Jersey.
South Jersey Magazine named Dr. Sanfilippo a “Best Doctor” in 2015.
- Bachelor of Arts: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Master of Health Science: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Philadelphia, PA
- Spine Surgery Fellowship: Emory University Orthopaedics & Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
- Board-Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member: American Medical Association
- Member: Jefferson Orthopaedic Society
- Member: North American Spine Society