You are here
Board-certified and fellowship-trained spine surgeon Dr. James Sanfilippo was raised in Middletown, New Jersey. He received his bachelor’s degree from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and went on to obtain a master’s degree in biochemistry from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Sanfilippo received his medical degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark, New Jersey. He completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dr. Sanfilippo chose to undergo additional training in the spine in the form of a fellowship at the Emory University Orthopaedics & Spine Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, where he was appointed as an instructor in orthopedic surgery. In 2017, Dr. Sanfilippo completed his M.B.A. at the Fox School of Business at Temple University in Philadelphia.
Dr. Sanfilippo has been practicing at Reconstructive Orthopedics since 2009 and is currently the chief of the spine section, chair of the Virtua Brain and Spine Institute, and the medical director of the musculoskeletal service line at Virtua Memorial Hospital in Mount Holly, New Jersey.
South Jersey Magazine named Dr. Sanfilippo a “Best Doctor” in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Master of Health Science: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Philadelphia, PA
- Spine Surgery Fellowship: Emory University Orthopaedics & Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
- Master of Business Administration: Fox School of Business at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member: American Medical Association
- Member: Jefferson Orthopaedic Society
- Member: North American Spine Society